I know…I know….

Long episode of no updates. Completely my fault. So many things going on, and this project was a small portion of that. Sometimes when I have a breather, it ends up being more than a breather. A few things to note that has happened recently.

First was an attempt to make a converter that would take in NSF files (Nintendo Sound Format, basically, NES music/sfx) and convert them into MML structure. I originally was going to put together a small article that would describe the instruments used for replicating the NES audio used in Megaman 2 PTC and how I was able to export them decently accurate, but after diving into that, I learned that certain NES audio players had their sourcse available, so I thought that maybe I could save people the trouble of manually making their own music copies by creating this program and doing it automatically. The output seems to work decently, excluding various effects like pitch sweeps. Unfortunately, attempts to find the main loop points for each musical composition has been less than stellar, likely because the exportation method works off examining the state of the channels at a rate of 60 times per second when the music updates at a far more significant rate. Since the base of the exporter/player is made by someone else, I’d have to examine their work and see if I can retrieve the data a lot more often, or find another way to export the audio. This converter has been put on hold until further notice.

That is what I’ve spent most of my time on since this last update, though I have worked on MM2PTC here and there among other things. Various other distractions came about, such as family unexpectedly dropping by for the week from Idaho, Mario Kart 8, and just recently, E3. At the very least, I can say that all the Robot Master AI is completed, but only Bubbleman’s weapon AI has been programmed. There is one problem that I’m hoping I can get passed. When the program reaches a certain number of sprites on-screen (around 8-9, which include enemies, bullets, etc), the program begins to slow down. In most cases during the main game, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem. However, bosses like Heatman use so many individual sprites at one time (weapon fire mainly) that I can’t help but imagine that their fights will become slow. I’m devising a method that I hope will not only improve those scenarios, but general performance as well.